What do you do when you have a ton of plain Greek yogurt, you want bagels, and can’t go out to get them? You make your own bagels! I have heard people making bagels out of Greek yogurt and flour, so I decided what better time then now? They don’t take long at all and I may be making them weekly.
My family used to get bagel, egg, bacon, cheese sandwiches after church every Sunday. Probably not the healthiest, but as a child I always looked forward to them. Now I enjoy my bagels with either lox and cream cheese or avocado, eggs, and spinach. However you enjoy your bagel, try making your own. I like how these bagels aren’t obnoxiously large like your typical bagel. You can control the side of the bagel. I picked the smaller one and my husband had one of the larger ones. Adding the protein and healthy fat with your bagel will help your blood sugar from spiking extremely and keep you full longer. For example: the lox (smoked salmon), eggs, avocado.
Easy homemade everything bagelsCourse: Breakfast
Cut back on the calories but not flavor with these everything bagels, also 8g of protein! Perfect match with avocado, spinach, and eggs to keep you full for hours!
1 cup flour (I used all-purpose)
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp table salt
1 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
Everything but the bagel seasoning
(I used TJ, but you can make your own)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
Add the yogurt and mix with fork, it will look like small crumbles at first.
- Dust flour on work surface. Knead dough, but don’t over knead (Which it will get sticky).
- Divide dough into 4 sections. Roll each into 3/4-inch thick “ropes” and curl to form bagels.
- Brush top of bagel with egg, dip in seasoning, brush the other side with egg, and flip to place the other side in seasoning. (I love a lot of seasoning but you can always just do the top)
- Place on greased tray to prevent sticking. Bake on top rack for 25-30 minutes. I like my crispy, so I went for 30 minutes, but check at 25 minutes.
- Let cool before adding toppings and enjoy!
- recipe adopted from Lovely Lucky Life