Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Here in New Jersey it has been a yucky, rainy weekend. Last night, my husband, friends, their kiddies, and I drove around South Jersey looking at the Christmas lights on houses. Thirty minutes away is a town called Mickleton and they have the best Christmas lights. The one house was decorated like National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and the one next to it was decorated like the Christmas Story house. Another house had every type of plastic decor. One house had a bunch of blow ups but was decorated very cute! One house had decorations outside and in the back of the house, where we walked through it in the rain. They even had free hot chocolate! It was defiantly a cool experience and great for all ages. Rainy days also call for some Christmas cookie baking!
Pumpkin spice season is done, but gingerbread season has begun! I love the smell and taste of all the spices together: ginger, cloves, and cinnamon! Plus, gingerbread cookies are my FAVORITE holiday cookies. Last year, on my old blog Miss Sweet Potato Head, I made a vegan ginger snap cookie. The taste was delicious, but the cookie texture was NOT on point. This year, I tried again and SUCCEEDED (if I could say so myself!). They are not very sweet (only has 1/4 cup maple syrup), but filled with the warming taste of gingerbread spices. I made a vegan icing, which was basically sugar, so that sweetened the cookie up.
If you want to see the “behind the scenes” of food blogging, scroll to the end to see the photos my husband took!
Vegan Gingerbread CookiesRecipe by Chrissie Bittner, RD
2 cups whole wheat flour (plus some for rolling)
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup coconut oil, melt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses
1 flax egg (= 1 tbsp flax meal + 2.5 tbsp water) OR 1 egg
1 tbsp milk
Optional: raisins for eyes
- Vegan icing
1 cup powder sugar, sifted
2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
In a medium bowl, mix all wet ingredients together (molasses, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, flax egg, and milk).
- Add wet ingredients into the dry and mix together. Form into a ball and let it sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer.
- Remove from fridge, lightly flour rolling pin and counter. Roll dough to 1/4 inch. Use a cookie cutter to shape the gingerbread.
- Place cookies on baking sheets with parchment paper. Place raisins as eyes (optional).
- Bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Let cool, decorate with icing.
- Vegan Icing
- Mix ingredients together.
- Fill the end of a sandwich baggy with the icing, cut a small hole to drizzle on cookie.